Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 1 - Retro Glam - Wiener Schnitzel

Beef Schnitzel was the first freezer victim in Day 1 of our Thrifty July adventure. Wiener Schnitzel is something I haven't eaten for years however I remember it being a flash dish back in the day and I've tried to capture a little of that Retro Glam in the photo. 

Tonight for dinner I spiced it up. I rubbed a little Jerk seasoning on the meat, before stuffing with cheese and crumbing to make this Wiener Schnitzel. I seasoned the crumb with some turmeric too. To add to this kitsch in the kitchen we made a coleslaw salad and I sauteed some homegrown silverbeet and yams in a splash in vinegar. 

So how did it taste? Well it was quite spicy for me, whereas Chef Hubby didn't even know there was jerk seasoning in there! My tastebuds are so much more alive since I finally knocked smoking totally on the head...

There was homemade pumpkin soup for lunch. We made litres of it yesterday, and I managed to drop a chunk of it on the floor by accident, which was a bit dumb. I also squirted petrol on myself today when I was filling the car up. Waiting for what the third spillage will be? 

Here's Chef Hubby's tip for yummy pumpkin soup. Roast the whole pumpkin in the oven for about 1 hour until soft. The cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and scoop the soft pumpkin flesh into your pot and make as normal. We also added in a Bacon Hock too. 

So, what do you think of what we thriftily rustled up from our pantry?


1 comment: